Chop Suey is a Chinese-American dish made with stir-fried vegetables, protein, and a thick, flavorful sauce. It is usually served over steamed rice or chow mein noodles.
It is an excellent option for those looking for a tasty meal, easy to prepare and full of vegetables. Plus, it’s a healthy alternative to Chinese takeout that can often be greasy.
The best thing about Chop Suey is that there are no specific rules about which ingredients to use, so you can tailor it based on your preferences and what you have on hand.
- Garlic and ginger.
- Fresh vegetables: onion, broccoli, red peppers, carrots and mushrooms. (You can add other vegetables like green beans, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, snap peas, cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, green bell pepper, baby corn, celery, etc.)
- Fried tofu.
- Diluted cornmeal.
- Chop Suey Sauce: soy sauce, dark soy sauce, maple syrup, rice vinegar, white pepper, and vegan oyster sauce.
Learn to make Chop Suey: preparation:
- Heat a little oil in a wok or large skillet.
- Sauté the sliced onion for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the thinly sliced garlic and ginger and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add the chopped vegetables and fried tofu, stir and cook for 3–4 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of water and continue cooking for 2 more minutes or until the water has evaporated.
- Pour the sauce into the pan and stir until all the ingredients are covered.
- Add the diluted cornmeal and continue cooking for 2 more minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add a little sesame oil and serve.
Don’t overcook the vegetables; they should be a little crunchy.
If you want to make this dish ahead of time, you can leave all the chopped vegetables and cooked rice or noodles ahead of time.
Serve the Chop Suey with steamed rice or noodles. If you opt for noodles, make sure they are vegan.
What is the difference between Chop Suey and Chow Mein?
Chow Mein is a Chinese dish, while Chop Suey is an American-Chinese dish.
Is Chop Suey healthy?
Yes, especially if you include a lot of vegetables and plant-based protein.
What can you use if you don’t have Vegan Oyster Sauce?
You can use powdered mushrooms or just skip this ingredient.
You may also like: How to make healthy vegan waffles for breakfast
With information from sixhungryfeet